Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Saw This Coming

Peyton Manning talks corporate sponsorship of quarterback's call signals.

With football being the number one spectator sport in the USA, and corporations that are always looking for new ways to cash in, it was only a matter of time. Peyton Manning, QB of the 2013-14 Denver Broncos, talked with Dan Patrick about his "Omaha, Omaha" signals when changing up a play at the line of scrimmage. Peyton dispelled rumors that he was retiring to go to work for Omaha Steaks, or Mutual of Omaha. He went on to disparage the seemingly eventual sponsorships of QB's call signs. "...next, they'll be paid to yell 'GatorAde, GatorAde' at the line". Payton finished with hoping that he was out of football by the time that happens.

Omaha, Omaha and the Gatorade comments start at about 2:25.


If I were so inclined, I could find more than a few parallels between corporate football and Rollerball I bet, but it's time to shovel.

2 comments:

  1. You're sooooo good.

    I don't watch those capitalist spectacles any more. Too much gore or ridiculous commentary for me now, and I don't remember it being this bad when I watched previously with my Dad as a child or my college chums on the 50 yard line.

    Omaha? So precise a commentary on where we live today. If it ain't marketing, it ain't happening.

    I heard the other day from a pretty good source that the word "bacon" had been inserted in all types of TV programming, and I had to laugh as I look around at the general populace and see out-of-control eaters amid those who have very little money for decent diets.

    It seems like another Rollerball nightmare, and we've been a part of it for decades.

    Wake up, America. And smell the bacon?

    Hope you're doing well. And those great kids of yours!

    Love you,

    C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suze, you're the best. Thanks for listening. Greendaykids are good, no hope for gainful employment, but they are strong and armed with facts. The Rollerball cinematic theme really strikes a chord with me. But hey, I'm easy. Clairvoyant much, maybe - Prescient? Well, history repeats so that's easy... empathetic. Now there's one.

      Delete